Assessment of your foreign degree

Here you find information about getting an assessment of your foreign degree. That means that you get a certificate showing which Swedish degree your foreign education is equivalent to. Having your degree assessed can make it easier to get a job.

Studies show that immigrants more often find jobs when they have had their degree assessed. Also, it increases your chances of getting a job that matches your level of qualification.

How do I get my degree assessed?

It is Universitets- och Högskolerådet (UHR) that assesses foreign university degrees. The assessment results in a certificate that shows which Swedish degree your foreign education is equivalent to.

To have your degree assessed, it needs to be in English or Swedish. If you need a translation of your degree, you can find a translator here.

Since turnaround times at UHR can be long, we recommend that you submit your application for assessment as soon as possible. On UHR:s website  you can read more about how a foreign university degree is assessed.

Please note that you don’t have to get your degree assessed in order to apply for additional studies at a post-secondary level. Here you can find courses and programs if you want to study at a post-secondary level.


A validation is an assessment of all your knowledges and competences, no matter how they have been acquired. It can be used as a way to define the starting point for further education. It can also be used as a part of an ongoing education in order to shorten the education period.